Saturday, September 22, 2012

Birthday Binder - Ang Thong Marine National Park and Beach Dinner

I honestly hadn't thought much about my birthday at all, with the whole wedding thing and traveling half way around the world. I've been about as happy as a Binder can be the last week, so having one more thing to celebrate was just icing on the cake. Or peanut sauce on the Satay. I entered my 20's as a pasty and increasingly robust sophomore o-lineman in a dorm in Waterville, Maine... And I now enter my 30's an almost ready to be responsible, debatably sophisticated, and of course... married... man in Thailand. And I couldn't be happier.

Our buggy driver showed up with signs
One of the top things I wanted to do in Koh Samui was go to Ang Thong Marine National Park, a set of 40-something islands West of Koh Samui about 45 mins by boat. We thought this was the perfect thing to do on my bday. I knew I was in for a special day when our golf cart driver sped in with Happy Birthday signs on the cart, one of which flew off and almost hit me when he slammed on the breaks. A speed boat to picked us up right at our hotel and we headed out due West. We made 4 stops over the course of the day to snorkel, hike to a salt water lagoon, have lunch in a fishing village, and chill on a beach and kayak. The water is amazingly clear blue, and the many rocky islands that are covered in greenery and look like they could fall over any minute make up some of the most gorgeous scenery we've ever seen. It was the perfect daytime activity, with a little surprise Bri planned for dinner...

View of the Four Seasons from the boat
Being silly in the water
Praying Monkey Rock... Because, get it?
Salt Water Lagoon
Top of the view point after a steep hike
Self pic with sweet beach hair. And no, we're not naked.
Bri had said she had something planned for dinner, and while I continued to make up guesses from midget wrestling to fireworks... She came through with one of the most special dinners I've had in my life: a private dinner on the beach. It looked like something out of The Bachelor, complete with rose petals and all... But Chris Harrison was nowhere to be found. There was plenty of food and more than enough booze. Brando left full, with a good buzz, and appreciative of my loving, caring, and thoughtful wife planning an awesome day to welcome me to my 30's! Although, everyone (including the cake) referred to me as Mr Binder... Not sure if I'm ready for that. You can just call me Binder.

Romantic Beach Dinner Binder
The soup with lobster wontons was unreal
Mr Binder? Is my dad here??
 

No comments: