Monday, December 29, 2008

I Don't Even Know Where to Start....

If you're reading this it's because you know that I will be going on a little adventure. "Why?" you may ask. That's a great question. I wish I had one good answer. The truth is, I don't have one good answer, but instead many partially-logical, some non-sensical, and a handful semi-philosophical ones. What really matters, and what many of you who know me can attest to, is that this is something that I have put a lot of thought into.

When you get into the "real" world you realize that there are a lot of ways to go about things. The one extreme would be to get right into it and start working, getting an early jump on something called "the career path" and building a financial foundation and professional future. People who go this route often have nice things, boring stories, a routine, 401(k), and perhaps a nice resume. The other extreme might be to float around and Live the Dream for as long as humanly possible, often pushing the limits - whether it be credit cards, livers, family patience, or otherwise. Many of us young professionals find ourselves struggling to place ourselves somewhere in between these two extreme lifestyles. Let's face it, both have their merits and their downsides. In short, this trip is an effort to touch base with the Why-The-Hell-Not? Lifestyle before finding myself too deeply committed Why-Is-It-Only-Tuesday? Lifestyle.

That is little more than a feeble attempt to sum up the reasoning behind this trip. As I said before, I am not 100% sure why exactly I am leaving a perfectly good job, rent-controlled apartment, and temporarily stepping away from a lot of people that I will miss dearly. I do know this, though: I have to do it. The reasons why I went will only become evident along the way, and long after I return. My hope is that this, like the "Tubby Times" before it (chronicling my Semester in London, with yet another oversized comrade), will help not only serve as a record of the happenings, but maybe provide some entertainment as well. I would expect future entries to have a slightly lower level of philosophy, and an higher level of shenanigans. Without further adieu, let wackiness ensue with hilarious consequences.

1 comment:

lovingkindness said...

yes binder, yes. well stated. happy trails. !!! see you when we see you hombre. :)